Of the Artz Centre, our students have commented:
- “Artz is a fantastic place which has inspired my choice to follow a career in the performing arts.Without it, I would no doubt be in a job I hate, with little hope for the future. It has allowed me to explore a talent I didn’t know I had, and also to discover who I am as a person. It has made me mentally stronger, more optimistic, and able to better engage with people my age. The best part about Artz is the enthusiastic and engaging teaching staff, who encourage creativity in their students, and act as mentors who can be relied on for more than just drama. The Artz Centre will forever be my benchmark for a professional workplace”.
- “Artz to me is like a second home. It’s the one place I can go to and feel like I am apart of something without feeling like I need to hold back. Over the years Artz has helped me develop in confidence which means a lot to me as when I first joined I was one of the shyest people you would have met and I wouldn’t have even joined in. However over the years Artz has helped me face that fear which has lead to be being in over 30 productions which I have loved every single minute of. Also, being a peer mentor to the juniors at Artz has helped me learn other skills such as leading a smaller group which also requires patients. I adore Artz so much and honestly don’t know where I would be without it. It’s such a friendly environment which makes me want to be there every day. Artz has pushed me to be the best I can be and I love the challenges they set me. I feel having this opportunity to be apart of a performing arts family so young will help me when it comes to doing what I want to do in the future, which is going into drama school. Artz has come a long way in the space of one year as there is now a bit of something for everyone so no one feels left out. I may come to the end of my journey with Artz soon as I go onto doing bigger things in the future, however I will definitely not forget where I started”.
- “The Artz Centre is a massive part of my life, it is my second home. It is a place where I feel 100% welcome and I can be myself. The centre has taught me a lot about myself over the time I have been there and working with the incredible people that I do. It has taught me that I am a very hardworking individual who strives to achieve the best I can be no matter what the costs, it has also taught me that I am a natural leader, as I am very close with the junior group and I feel I am a big part of helping them develop into young adults. But the best part about being involved in Artz for me is getting the chance to perform and work with so many incredible people, from Mark and the staff to littlest of students. Every single person there is amazing and it is a huge part of my life. Going on into the future I feel that what I have achieved with Artz will benefit me greatly. They have taught me so many vital skills for on and off the stage, and have made me believe in myself again. If it wasn’t for The Artz Centre my life would be totally different. I have many mental health problems and a huge weight on my shoulders when it comes to my home life, including being the registered carer for my mum and little brothers, but The Artz Centre is a way for me to cope with all of this and is a way for me to express every single emotion I feel, and I cannot tell u enough how amazing it is. The staff and kids are some of the most caring, loving, talented, down to earth people you will ever meet, and I think an Artz Centre is needed up and down the country, because it is incredible!”
Our students’ parents have commented:
- “Artz Drama has been the best thing that has happened to Jamie. He is such a happy and confident kid when in the session with yourself and your team. Can’t wait for it all to start again in 2014. Well done for all your hard work”.
- “From day one, since joining Artz Academy, Erica has enjoyed the whole experience including acting, singing and performing in all shows. Although Erica has never been a shy person, since joining Artz we feel as parents that she has blossomed into a great little all round performer and that is due to the time and effort put in by Mark and the Artz Team”.
- “The team at the Artz Centre work incredibly hard to make sure the young people involved in each production do their very best. Its not just a nights entertainment, it’s an incredible programme that boosts the self-confidence of every person involved in the production. Tonight’s show was simply fabulous. My own children never cease to amaze me, never mind everybody else’s. Is a joy to watch every single time”.
Amanda Parker, the High Sheriff of Lancashire, has commented:
- “Thank you for showing me round the Artz Centre yesterday. You are a fantastic example of the work that can be done in a community to engage with young people, and to involve them in projects. I particularly appreciate the commercial aspects and your understanding of how to be self-funding. I wish you all the success for the future”.
Liz Savage, Councilor and Former Mayor of West Lancashire, has commented:
- “Last night, the Artz Centre provided a fantastic evening of entertainment. The students’ commitment and preparation prior to the evening was evident and their performances were amazing. A visiting mayor commented on the standard and said it had some of the best performances that she had ever seen and outperformed professional shows”.
Greg Mitten, Chief Officer of the West Lancashire Council for Voluntary Service, has commented:
- “Mr Ashton and the Artz Centre have a long and proven track record of developing high quality and professional delivered services for the West Lancashire community. Over the last three years they have transformed an underused building into a thriving centre of excellence, offering a range of creative opportunities for people across Skelmersdale. The building is now a jewel in the crown of local community assets, filled to capacity throughout the week. The centre goes beyond creating a schedule of activities – by creating and fostering a ‘can do’ and aspirational attitude for individuals, they are supporting and building social value, community connections and resilience. The centre has a clear impact on well-being, it motivates individuals to recognise their own gifts, capacities and skills, and to develop an attitude of achievement through learning, application and hard work”.
David Tilleray, Chairman of both the West Lancashire Health & Wellbeing Partnership and the Community Safety Partnership, has commented:
- “The Artz Centre has quickly become a key contributor to the health and wellbeing of a huge number of young people; who attend the vast choice of creative learning and professional service development opportunities provided there. Myself and the Police and Crime Commissioner of West Lancashire recognise the real impact Artz has had on the community safety in the Skelmersdale area and the true value they have to their local community”.